Friday, September 7, 2012

It Begins!

Welcome, I have taken it upon myself to create the ultimate pizza, there are many conflicting recipes on the web for what makes the best pizza, I want to find out which one actually works. Along the way I want to learn how variations to the ingredients and cooking/fermentation method affect the final pizza quality. So to begin lets start with my equipment and ingredients.

My trusty bread machine! I use this for making all my dough, it mixes then raises it.






My pizza oven! This little guy has the ability to go up to 320degrees C if I want it to. It has a pizza stone in the middle, a grill element on top, and below the stone. I would suggest getting one of these if you are serious about your pizza, it is well worth it!  On top of that, it's red, so it goes fast.




 
 Here's a shot of the oven open, as you can see it's very well used, I like to think that improves the pizza quality.











Misc equipment, digital scale is essential for accurate measurements of flour and water!


 
Bread flour! 12.5% protein content. I heard high protein is good, so I bought this one, I really think the protein helps create that amazing soft but slightly chewy delicious centre with a nice crusty exterior. Also protein helps hold the water, if you try high hydration with low protein your dough may become a batter. With this flour I was able to push the hydration right up to 75% of the flour weight and still have a usable dough!





So these are the basic building blocks of a great pizza. I'm interested in the base initially, I want a soft, thick fluffy base that is slightly chewy in the centre, crisp on the outside, delicious flavour and perfectly cooked. If I can produce this base, it really doesn't matter what you put on top, it will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment